Sunday, May 20, 2012

Yum-Delish Appetizer

Today we had a BBQ at our place so I grilled the usual, burgers, dogs & corn. However both Laura and I were inspired when we were in South Carolina last week. I was looking online for a good seafood place and the only place that I was able to find with only good reviews was Bonefish Grill. We have some in NY but in Poughkeepsie, the closest one is in Jersey. Fish, from Jersey? I'll pass. Anyway, back on topic. Bonefish has a killer appetizer called Bang Bang Shrimp, I'm sure if I have been in your company since our last trip to SC you have heard me talk about it. Well today was the day where I would re-create that magical moment between the shrimp and my mouth. I used a recipe that I found online and it was pretty dang close except I forgot to put the cornmeal on before the deepfryer. Laura grabbed the shrimp before they were all the way cooked and breaded them then re-dunked them but the cornmeal didn't stick as well. I would also add more than three drops of siracha next time, I just wanted to be considerate of the company we kept.

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
3 drops Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce (or to taste)
1 pound shelled and deveined shrimp
  Dry cornstarch
  oil for frying
  lettuce
  chopped scallions

DIRECTIONS:

Mix mayonnaise with Thai Sweet Chili Sauce. Add hot sauce to taste. Dredge the shrimp in cornstarch. Deep fat fry the shrimp until lightly brown. Drain on paper towel, put in a bowl and coat with the sauce. Serve in a lettuce lined bowl, top with chopped scallions.

The end result:

1 comment: